19 July 2010

EVERYTHING MUST GO

12th and Republic is going to be shutting down indefinitely. Life intrudes. Other formats, other genres, are absorbing my interest these days. Also, I'd be lying like a dog if I said the displacing of the OTR homeless by 3CDC and the city government didn't leave me at a loss for words.

Ordinarily this shell game with human lives would stick in my craw, but to paraphrase Richard Belzer, I had my craw surgically removed years ago so I could sleep nights.

Raj Patels recent book, "The Value of Nothing," examines the idea that the Constitution does not grant rights to those who are too poor to afford to claim those rights. In other words, there is an unwritten "right to have rights."  Exactly: The people in Washington Park who sleep at the Drop Inn Shelter do not have the right to have rights.

I will leave 12th and Republic on line for awhile before shutting down entirely.  Thanks for taking the time to read about some very difficult issues.

 

3 comments:

CityKin said...

Your voice is worthwhile and appreciated.

Keep blogging.

It matters.

John F. said...

I will be sad to see the blog go. I have very deeply valued your perspective and way with words since I discovered your blog just over a year ago. I don't know what your new interests are but I wish you the best of luck with them and selfishly hope I discover them some day.

VisuaLingual said...

I really, really hope that you can find the time and energy to continue this venture. Your voice is the perfect counterpoint to some of the others out there, and it is most definitely needed and appreciated.

All original text (C) 2007, 2008 David J. Carney. All rights reserved.

dfshapinsky (via pingnews)

d.f.shapinsky (via pingnews)